In 1900, Col. Wadsworth began creating “Long Hill” . Working with the nationally renowned Olmsted and Sons Landscape Architects, he acquired 500 acres and transformed them into a traditio nal working landscape with pastures, orchards, and forests. The architecture firm of Hoppin and Koen designed the Mansion on par with the “cottages” of Newport, Rhode Island. For over 30 years Long Hill was the country retreat for the Wadsworth family. After the Colonel’s death, a portion of the land was willed to the State of Connecticut for use as a public park (Wadsworth Falls State Park). In 1947, the estate was sold to The Religious of our Lady of the Cenacle, and for nearly forty years the estate was a retreat for
shelter, meditation, and religious instruction. During this era several parcels of land were sold off, and the size of the estate was reduced to its current 103.5 acres. In 1986 the estate was sold to series of developers. As the fortunes of the developers waned, and a bank took ownership, both land and buildings fell into decay, vandalism, and extreme decline. In June of 1994, Long Hill Estate became the property of the City of Middletown. The Mansion and immediate grounds have undergone a complete historic rehabilitation. The Long Hill Estate Authority is responsible for the stewardship of the Estate. The parklands are open to the public daily from sunrise to sunset. The Mansion is open for tours on Wednesdays from 2:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. Additionally the Mansion may be rented for weddings, conferences, and other celebrations.